2006s Match Report - 16th April 2023 v Jeanfield Swifts


Kinross Colts U17s 3 – 1 Jeanfield Swifts U17s

Colts extended their lead at the top of division 2 with a gutsy performance at Donaldson Park today.

Some late call offs left the squad severely depleted with only 11 players available, one of whom was returning from a long-term injury.

The boys were on the back foot from the start as Swifts enjoyed most of the possession in the opening minutes. However, against the run of play Colts won a corner on the left-hand side. Noah swung in a tantalising cross and Jamie Porter got on the end of it with a towering header to put Colts 1 up in the 12th minute.

On a very difficult playing surface Colts resorted to long ball tactics which clearly unsettled the Swifts defence and they had several good chances to increase their lead. However in the 30th minute a mis-timed tackle resulted in a free kick being awarded to Swifts on the edge of Colts 18-yard box. The kick was well struck - low & hard sneaking just inside Andrew’s right-hand post to bring the Swifts level.

Swifts now had their tails up but Colts dug deep, defending from the front to keep them at bay. Colts were rewarded in the 40thminute when Jamie (not sure which one!) got a touch on another in-swinging corner from Noah to restore Colts lead and they went in 2 – 1 up at half time.

The second half was not easy on the eye. With the ball bobbling all over the place the match began to resemble a slug fest. Both teams had good chances – Noah & Jamie O both went close forcing good saves from the Swifts keeper and Cammy hit the post after a mazy run.

With no subs and a challenging pitch, the effort & commitment from the boys was monumental. With 15 mins to go Euan took a nasty knock to his ankle and had to come off. Down to 10 men it was backs to the wall. A few minutes later Harry and Irvin both suffered heavy knocks but they both kept going - on 1 leg! It also transpired that Luke managed to break 2 teeth – he now looks like a proper centre half ?

In the dying minutes Colts got the ball forward and a mix up between Swifts goalie and centre back resulted in the ball falling nicely to Irvin who tapped in from 6 yards to put the game to bed and secure the 3 points.

After an indifferent start to the league campaign, today was the boy’s 8th straight win. No mean achievement in a tight competitive league. Every week the boys dig deep, they give 100% and consistently demonstrate self-belief, resilience and great team spirit. Well done boys you are a credit to yourselves and the club.

Back to news